I am very excited to learn how the Avatar came to be and why
(Book 2 I NEED YOU!)
This is a very long explanation.
—-Here I go…
Predating the world of bending, we know that some spirits came to the physical world, whether to stay or to visit:
- La and Tui (Ocean and Moon Spirits) left the spirit world to obtained a mortal form; they’re capable of living a very long time.
- Wan Shi Tong (owner of the Spirit library located in Si Wong Desert) also obtained a mortal form (from what we saw in A:tla “The Library”), and dedicated his life to collecting knowledge from both the Spirit and Physical world. His knowledge seekers also fall under this category.
We can also infer that every spirit has the ability to obtain a temporary physical form in order to manifest in the physical world:
- Hei Bai (when in his beastly form, he was able to destroy buildings; meaning he must have had some way of touching them (i.e. physicality), otherwise in spirit form, he could go through any physical thing).
- The Painted Lady (she manifested herself to Katara, who could see her. Katara would be unable to see her if she was in her spiritual form).
- Koh (He lured Ummi, Avatar Kuruk’s love, into the spirit world. In order to do so, he must have been physical to lure her and steal her physical face. Unless he solely stole her spiritual face).
- the Spirit from the Book 2 SDCC animatics (shows up to attack Korra in the physical world).
- Dark Spirit (We do not know yet if this is the same spirit as the one shown in the animatics or if it is a separate spirit. For now, I’ll refer to it as separate, until proven otherwise).
From the time that Tui, La, and maybe Wan Shi Tong came to the physical world, Energybending was possible: The Lionturtles (an ancient species) had this ability or learned it from the spirits. This can infer that when in the physical world, Spirits have the ability of energybending (might comprise of the conversion of their spiritual energy into physical energy). Remember that although Tui and La were mortal, they still had a connection to the spirit world (ex: when La was killed, the Physical Moon disappeared). Every living thing in the Avatar world has a spirit: we can see this with:
- Yue (a human) who as a baby received energy from La, and after sacrificing herself, her spirit became the new moon spirit in the spirit world, while La-the-fish relives in the Northern Water Tribe Oasis (i.e. physical world).
- The animal companion of the Avatar also seem to live in the spirit world with their respective avatar’s spirit, even though they were initially regular animals that just so happen to be a companion to an Avatar.
- Humans, as some have traveled into the Spirit world by some unknown means (Iroh and Ummi, with the presumed help of Koh, were able to do so. Also, based on the synopsis of The Search comics, Ursa could also have come in contact with the spirit world).
Whether every human’s spirit goes to the spirit world after death, is yet to be confirmed (though we have seen that this is possible: the Avatar, Yue, etc). If so, there might be a place amongst the spirit world where human spirits dwell.
Anyways, after Energybending was possible, some creatures were able to use this type of bending and redirect it in order to bend the classic physical elements:
- The Badgermoles were the original earthbenders.
- The Dragons were the original firebenders.
- The Flying Bison were the original airbenders.
- Tui and La, naturally were the original source of waterbending, since presumably, they always had the ability to energybend, translating that energy into the push and pull relationship of the ocean and moon.
We know that humans, who could also energybend, learned physical elementalbending by studing these creatures:
- Oma and Shu became the first human earthbenders by being amongst the Badgermoles. They later taught the form to other humans.
- The Sun Warriors became the first human firebenders by worshiping and living amongst the Dragons.
- The Air Nomads learned airbending by living amongst and studding the Flying Bison.
- The Northern Water tribe learned waterbending by studding the relationship of push and pull, as well as living amongst and protecting Tui and La. They later went on to colonize the Foggy Swamp and the Southern Water tribe.
I believe that the Avatar, the embodiment of the (physical) world’s spirit, came into existence after elementalbending was established. The world’s spirit gave up its spiritual form in order to become a human mortal and reincarnate. The Avatar is able to bend all of the elements because it has significant spiritual energy (energybending) that can manifest into the bending of the elements and bridging the spirit and physical world. This is also why the avatar state exists.
Reasons the world’s spirit decided to manifest into a physical form (Avatar):
- To escape a threat in the spirit world (i.e. the other spirits might have intended harm of the world’s spirit, or any other reason the spirits were displeased with the world’s/avatar spirit).
- To simply become a bridge connecting the spirit and physical worlds. This is currently true.
- To live amongst and understand physical (mortal) beings. This is also currently true.
- To protect the physical world and its inhabitants from the spirits (sort of like a guardian of the world). This can also be true, depending on your interpretation.
Now, for my actual Book 2 predictions:
We know that Korra will travel to the spirit world (either she’ll do it through meditation and/or she’ll travel to the spiritual place/entrance in the southern water tribe). If there are/is a door in the physical world that allows humans (aside from the avatar) to travel into the spirit world, this could explain Iroh and Ummi’s entering the spirit world previously (unless they meditaded like crazy to enter it in spirit form, which I highly doubt). This metaphoric door may only be opened by spirits (Koh opened the door to lure Ummi, and perhaps Iroh was given access to it by a spirit). The Avatar, a spirit, also has the ability to open this door.
- This could mean that Team Avatar/the Krew can follow Korra into the spirit world (maybe).
I also believe we’ll see Koh again (Korra asking for information on the spirits, if he is not indeed the main villain of Book 2), and maybe even the sole surviving Lionturtle.
Also, It’d be awesome if Korra traveled to the Si Wong Desert to visit Wan Shi Tong’s library and ask him about information on the spirits, though this is highly unlikely.
Korra could visit the Northern Water Tribe to see her uncle/cousins (unless they travel to see her, though I doubt that Unalaq would leave his people as he is their chief). We know that Unalaq will also be another of Korra’s spiritual mentors, and don’t forget that if Korra visits the Northern tribe, Tui and La won’t be far behind! Maybe this explains the tents we saw in the animatics? Why would Korra and her friends stay/be in tents in her native watertribe?
How cool would it be if Kya lives in the Northern tribe (maybe some relation to Unalaq or maybe is the twin’s mentor/waterbending master)?! That could explain why she isn’t living with Katara in the Southern tribe.
There is also that matter of the secret room(s) Bryke hinted at in the Southern Air Temple. Maybe a door into the spirit world? Or it could contain history on the Avatar and/or spirits.
Thanks for not quitting this reading of my fangasm explanation/predictions.
I’ll summarize on what I can’t wait to see in this upcoming book:
EVERYTHING! (I won’t bore you on the details) :p
Man, I need book 2 PRONTO.